Thursday, July 14, 2011

Should I Change My Password? Quickly Checks if Your Password Was Compromised in a Recent Hack [Security]

Should I Change My Password? Quickly Checks if Your Password Was Compromised in a Recent Hack [Security]: From the Lifehacker Blog:

Should I Change My Password? Quickly Checks if Your Password Was Compromised in a Recent Hack"With many sites being compromised and user data released publicly on the web, you may have fallen victim. Should I Change My Password? is a simple webapp can tell you if you may be at risk.

When you visit the site, you just enter the email address you use for various accounts and click 'Check it!' A large database of compromised account passwords and their associated email addresses (see the sources here) will be searched and you'll find out if you're in one of them. If you are, you should change your password right away. If not, you're safe for the time being but you'll be reminded to still change your password regularly.


It's worth noting that Should I Change My Password? isn't a surefire way to know if your accounts are completely safe, but it is a good way to find out if they were compromised. As always, you want to make sure you choose a secure password and avoid putting any sensitive information online if you can.


If you're concerned that the site may just be phishing for emails, the FAQ may make you feel better.


Should I Change My Password? Quickly Checks if Your Password Was Compromised in a Recent Hack Should I Change My Password?




You can follow Adam Dachis, the author of this post, on Twitter and Facebook. Twitter's the best way to contact him, too.




"

No comments:

Post a Comment