Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Review-Truth About Celia

A few years ago I read a book called The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier.  I enjoyed it quite a bit and when I saw a review for The Truth About Celia also by Brockmeier, I thought I'd read it.

 Christopher, Celia's father, is giving a tour of their home to some tourists while Celia, age 7, plays outside.  He sees her from the house and waves.  The next time he looks outside she isn't there.  He assumes she is playing with friends, but when she doesn't return by dark, Christopher and Janet (Celia's mother) get worried.  They call the police, but there is no sign of her.  The book then alternates between stories that Christopher has written (he is a fantasy/science fiction writer) about worlds  in which Celia lives, and the effects of her disappearance on the town, Christopher, and Janet.

The book explores the feelings of loss and grief and is beautifully written.

No comments:

Post a Comment