Friday, January 7, 2011

Organizing for 2011 – Paperwork

Organizing for 2011 – Paperwork: "
This is a two-part blog on getting better organized for the New Year. Part 1 is on getting paperwork organized. Part 2 will be on clearing out the clutter.


File folderAs I head into 2011 and I look at the stacks of paperwork from 2010 (receipts, warranties, insurance documents, copies of bills, and a host of other bits of paper), I am very tempted to purchase a flame thrower. Instead of dealing with my paper mess, I would rather risk burning down my home while toasting marshmallows
in the flames generated from all of those receipts, than to actually sit down and go through each piece of paper.


At the beginning of every year I have this epiphany that all of this paper clutter stresses me and that I need to bring order to the paper chaos in my life. It makes me feel anxious and out of control when I look at the stacks of unfiled stuff. Every year, I vow that this will be the year I get my act together and get organized.
I buy new filing bins and with great energy, I start sifting through stacks of accumulated paperwork. Then I get bored and frustrated. I run out of enthusiasm for my organizing project and I end up shoving it all in a corner of my office. Sometimes I even cover it with a table cloth and pretend that it is
a sculpture that I am working on.


When it comes to organizing, instead of rushing in and just tossing everything in a massive purge, a plan should be in place. Here is a little guidance on what records and documents to keep readily available, which things to store, and which things are safe to toss. It is especially important to get things in order with tax season coming up. The Internal Revenue Service has some helpful suggestions about record keeping to reduce stress at tax time.


All those purchase receipts are something that I am inundated with, so I am considering going paperless by purchasing a portable scanner that I can use to scan receipts. Some scanners have character recognition capabilities that can catalog and classify your purchases for you. Another option is to reduce the amount of paper coming into your home. Many companies are now offering paperless bill paying where you can make arrangements to receive electronic bills, instead of paper bills. Check with companies that you do regular business with to see if they offer this option.


There is lots of advice and tips on the Internet about getting your paperwork organized. There are also many companies out there with products and services that can help you get organized. If you are having trouble doing it yourself, you may wish to look into getting assistance. If you are going to work with a professional organizer, be sure to research companies carefully. Also keep in mind that while organizers are helping you clean-up, they may encounter paperwork with personal information.


Do you have any tips or tricks to help me get my paper jungle under control? Feel free to leave
a comment.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment