Friday, January 14, 2011

Organizing for 2011 – Clear Clutter by Donating

Organizing for 2011 – Clear Clutter by Donating: From GovGab: "This is a two-part blog on getting better organized for the New Year. Part 1 was on getting paperwork organized. Part 2 is about clearing out the clutter in other areas of my home.

Woman standing in a cluttered closetLast week I contemplated purchasing a flame thrower as a solution to the stacks of unnecessary paper clutter that I have in my office. I’m thinking that flame thrower may be the solution to one of my other problems - excess clutter that I have in other areas of my house.


I am a bit of a collector. I have clothes and shoes that I don’t wear; make-up, lotions, perfumes, shampoos and conditioners that haven’t even been opened; and why do I have 3 copies of “Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood” and 2 copies of “My Best Friend’s Wedding?” I am no organization expert. I have no special tips or wisdom to share about getting organized, but I am sensing that while the flame thrower approach
may sound tempting, it would probably be best if I could repurpose or donate much of this other clutter.


Things like clothing, shoes, linens and blankets are always things in need during times of disaster.
DisasterAssistance.gov has a “community resources” page with links to organizations that help during times of trouble. You can locate a resource in your area that would be more than willing to take your
“lightly-used” extras off your hands and, of course, there is always the Goodwill, Salvation
Army
, and local churches that you can donate your items to.


How many of us have extra dishes, containers, and pots and pans in our kitchen? I know my cupboards contain cans of beans, veggies and soup that I bought to make something specific, but ended up not using at all. Off the top of my head, I can think of a several ways to clear some of this out. I can donate it to my neighbor’s daughter who has just moved out and is setting up her first apartment. I could donate some of it to my church’s kitchen or to the local food pantry organization.


With things like excess books, music, movies you may want to consider giving them to a local library or check with your local schools. Have you upgraded to a new computer, game console, games, mp3 players, or other
entertainment devices and you don’t know of anyone to give these things to? I am sure any one of the
organizations mentioned above can find a kid who would love to have this stuff.


Do you have other suggestions on where to donate your unwanted items? Drop me a line.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment