Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Glaucoma awareness month

Glaucoma awareness month: From GovGab: "close up of a brown eyeAre you at risk for glaucoma? If you’re over 60, or are an African American over age 40, or if you have a family history of glaucoma, you’re at risk.
Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness in the United States. It usually happens when the fluid pressure inside the eyes slowly rises, damaging the optic nerve. Often there are no symptoms at first, but an eye exam can detect it.
My dad had glaucoma for years, and was diligent about treating it. It’s a good thing he did, because once he got the diagnosis, he knew that he couldn’t reverse the condition, but he could slow its progression. His treatment wasn’t very difficult. He had to use eye drops every day, and he once had laser surgery on his eyes. Apparently that sounds worse than it was, because after surgery he was in the back yard making some repairs to the shed.
I have always felt that my eyesight is a precious gift. Something I never want to lose. For that reason, I get an eye exam and a glaucoma test every year. In fact, my test is scheduled for next week. Sometimes I can be lazy about making doctor appointments, but it helps to know that I’m in a risk group for glaucoma. It motivates me to get tested.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment