Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Get Ready for Flu Season

Get Ready for Flu Season: From GovGab: "a needle for vaccination and pills along with word fluCall me naïve, but I always thought I was immune to the flu. Maybe I’d catch a cold or have a scratchy throat, but never the flu. All that changed last winter. Flashbacks of long coughing spells, fever, and body aches have made me admit that I don’t have the magic antidote to protect me from the flu. I've definitely learned my lesson and plan to get a flu shot this year.
Influenza, or the flu, is a respiratory infection caused by several viruses. While there are several types, the most popular is the seasonal flu. The Centers for Disease Control recommends that everyone get a flu vaccination to prevent the spread of the flu virus for the upcoming season.

Some groups are at higher risk for flu-related complications and are strongly encouraged to get their vaccine. They include:

  • Children under 2 years old
  • People that are 65 years old or older
  • People with chronic medical conditions
  • Pregnant women
  • People with impaired immune systems

“So where can I get my flu vaccine, Marietta?” So glad you asked. Some companies, non-profit organizations, and places of worship are administering the flu vaccine to prepare for the seasonal flu. If this isn’t an option for you, the CDC offers a searchable database of locations where you can get the flu vaccine in your community.
Even after you’ve gotten your flu vaccine, there are still things you can do to stay healthy such as washing your hands frequently and avoiding touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.

Do you have other tips for staying healthy this flu season?"

No comments:

Post a Comment