Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thank You Notes

Thank You Notes: From GovGab:
"If I've said it once, I'll say it again. I can't adequately express how grateful I am to be the youngest child in my family. Some of the benefits of the position include.

  • Always knowing the scoop about all my teachers before starting class
  • Being "too young to know better" until I was about 12
  • Having a double wardrobe until my sister went to college

But even better was just having to sign my name to the thank you note written by my sister until I was out of elementary school. My mom is the Queen of etiquette. I was probably the only six-year-old who knew the difference between a salad, dinner, and dessert fork. And my napkin? Always on my lap. Mom also stressed the importance of showing proper appreciation. Therefore, thank-you notes were made a part of my routine from an early age. As a kid (and well, an adult) my handwriting bordered on being hieroglyphics, so my sister always listened to my dictation and wrote the note, and afterwards I'd provide my John Hancock.

I'm actually surprised about how few people provide thank you notes now. I've been in or been to countless weddings and showers in the past five years and I'd say only a handful have sent a note thanking me for the gift.

Besides just gifts it's important to let people know you appreciate their time. For example, after an interview for a job, you should always send a handwritten thank you note to the interviewer. It shows you think their time is valuable and it also leaves a good impression.

It's not even time consuming to send a note now. Use this website to send a note to our troops for their efforts.

Do you write thank you notes regularly? What situations do you think require them?"

No comments:

Post a Comment