Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kids Need Your Help to Learn

From the GovGab Blog:

Kids Need Your Help to Learn: by joanne

young girl looking out the school bus windowThis week I’m getting my daughter ready to go back to school – I bet a lot of your kids are already in the classroom.

Our biggest preparation is easing back into an earlier, regular bedtime. My older daughter just can’t function without a good night’s sleep. I’m exactly the same, so I know how important it is for her to be well rested to be receptive to learning, and have a productive day at school.

No matter if school is in session or not, there are so many things that we, as parents can do to help our kids succeed academically. We can make sure there are reasonable limits on TV and game time, encourage our kids to read and take them to the local library to explore for books that interest them. Nobody likes homework, and I’ve found that it’s even a drag when you’re a parent. Still, homework is an important part of learning and we need to monitor homework and help our kids learn how to do their homework independently.

It may be your child’s first day of kindergarten or her senior year in college. Either way, adults play an important role in establishing the right attitude and environment for learning and growth. I hope we all have a successful year!

"

No comments:

Post a Comment